Researching trip to Portugal 2020

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are both 68-74 and we will be looking to travel independently around Portugal late next year. With my husband's hamstring injury (from our time in Puglia last year) which cannot be repaired, we have to take things really slowly. There will certainly be sites that my husband will have to sit it out at (eg those sites that have loads of stairs), while I go ahead and visit.

Staying in a town/city for several days and doing a couple of day trips is how we are currently planning this trip. We may fly Melbourne to London and the take a local airline or TAP to either Lisbon or Porto, flying open jaw. Purchase Via Viagem zapping tickets and local SIM cards at airport.

In Lisbon we will locate ourselves in Belem (5 days) as there are a lot of things to see there and we can also take a trip across the river. Jeronimos Monastery - Belem Tower - Discoveries Monument - Coaches Museum - Maritime Museum - Archaeology Museum - Tropical Garden at Pestana Palace Lisboa Hotel, - Belem Palace - Memoria Church - Ajuda Palace and Botanical Gardens - 25 de Abril Bridge and the new viewing platform - view sunset from outside the MAAT - Escola Portuguesa de Arte Equestre , Santa Maria de Belem Church .

Take the ferry from Cais do Sodré to Cacilhas to see the Fragata D. Fernando II e Gloria, Submarine Baracudda , the Naval Museum and the Sanctuary of Christ the King .

Then a 2 day trip to Evora. We have not yet decided on whether to take the train or the bus - just depends on whether we can sort out which is the most convenient for the point of departure from Lisbon. I would prefer not to have an early morning departure (before 9.00am) where we have to drag our luggage back into the city proper to get the appropriate transport ie either Rede Expressos/Renex bus from Sete Rios Bus Terminal or train from Oriente. So still researching this. We would need to pre-purchase our tickets online to ensure that we do not have to go to each of the terminals ahead of departure, to purchase the tickets - wasting time to do so.

If we can manage the public transport from Evora, we plan to go on to Vila Vicosa and Elvas (extending the days in Evora from 2 to 4). Getting around the towns on foot or in Elvas by Tuk Tuk 2 You for an hour or so to see the more distant sites. Returning to Lisbon and staying in the Rossio area (5 days) to allow us to see the rest of Lisbon - Castelo, Basílica da Estrela and Jardim, Cemitério Inglês, Palácio de São Bento, Palacio dos Marqueses de Fronteira, Camões Library, Igreja de Sao Roque, The Elevador da Gloria to the Miraduoro de Sao Pedro de Alcantra, Igreja da Encarnação, Panteão Nacional, Livraria Bertrand, Livraria Ferin, Convento da Carma, Vasco Da Gama Tower, Lisbon Cable Car or Lisbon Telecabine and Oceanarium. How much of these we actually get to see will depend on our capacity.

Train to Sintra - stay 3 days then catch bus to Cascais - 2 days - return to Lisbon* and take train to Obidos - 3 days. May take Templer Tour from here to Tomar. or move to Tomar which is then on the train line to Coimbra. Stay 2 nights and then take day trip to Aveiro or stay Aveiro overnight. Return to Coimbra and take train to Porto. Stay Porto 5 nights. Train to Braga and Guimaraes - 2 days and return to Porto for up to 2 days before returning to London or Melbourne.

*Struggling with deciding whether to hire a car for the rest of the journey, pick up Lisbon and return in Porto as I have not driven a manual car for over 40 years and my husband's ability to drive long distances is limited. We also have to consider the size of the car. European cars seem to be small and do not give his 6ft3 frame sufficient room - head and legs! Would have to look at something like a Fiat 500 or Renault Megane at the minimum. Need to try these out here in Melbourne before we decide.

All our accommodation has to be on ground floor level or if upper levels, must have an elevator or just one flight of stairs, so I am currently researching our options in the places we stay. As it will be getting colder, particularly in the Porto area (and also London if we return there), we need to take warmer clothes which are bulkier adding to luggage - another consideration with the car as the European cars have such small boots (trunks).

Continuing with the research and planning but any tips would be most gratefully received.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 05:27 PM

Visited Lisbon and Porto with mobility challenged SO last year. Lisbon is about 75% hills and stairs at first glance, but liberal use of uber and just foregoing the most challenging sights (like Castle S. Jorge) worked out OK. I had done a preliminary solo visit to determine if it would even be feasible for SO and learned about public transport and uber which made our visit possible. Key principle was to relax and take it slow, with frequent sit down for a few minutes rest stops. BTW the (in-)famous tram 28 is seething with pickpockets and rarely has open seats unless you get on at the very beginning, so may not be a good option for you in Lisbon.

I also booked private tours with Maureen at Grape Olive Pig and was delighted. One day we met at the market to shop then headed (via uber) to her place to cook and enjoy lunch. Another day she picked me up at the hotel and we spent the day driving to some wineries in Alentejo including a delicious lunch at one winery. Think this would be a great option for someone with limited mobility.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 06:42 AM

You can get a Renault Megane automatic at the Lisbon airport. Just booked one for our 2020 Portugal trip yesterday! From AutoEurope consolidator, EuropeCar is the vendor. You might also look into mydaytrip.com for private transfers for perhaps some of your trip. Would be awfully nice to have someone deliver you door to door, with sightseeing along the way for part of the trip, if you decide not to rent a car.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 07:25 AM

We are headed to Portugal in March 2020 and I also have some trouble walking so I was pretty careful in choosing where to stay-particularly in Lisbon. We prefer places that have at least a kitchenette so we decided on O Artista Boutique Suites in Lisbon. They do have rooms that are a bit less money with no kitchen as well. We chose them partly because they have an elevator (and A/C which we always want just in case of a hot spell even though it will be April when we are there). We also chose them because that neighborhood is relatively flat and central. We looked at staying Belem but ultimately decided that we would like at least a couple of nights in central Lisbon. The other well know hotel in that same neighborhood is Hotel Avenida Palace. We are doing a driving trip and our plan while we are in central Lisbon is to park the car at the underground lot near the cruise ship area-that way we can just drive in by the water and not deal with the hilly driving in the central area.

In Porto we are staying at Myo Design House and will again park our car underground while we are there.

https://www.oartista.pt/

https://www.myodesignhouse.com/
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Seamus, Passported and Jpie.
If it had not been the torn hamstring in Puglia we would have no worries at all. We travel extensively or 5 - 6 weeks at a time, sometimes twice a year, always self-catering, generally travelling by public transport and only taking local tours where necessary.
After 6 trips to Italy and about 8 to India, we are looking a different experience. My reading of Portugal shows that the Portuguese influence in India is still lingering on in Goa (but you have to look for it).

Seamus, we will definitely be taking it easy, hence the longer stays in parts of Lisbon. Have no interest in Tram 28 - iconic or not - we have trams here in Melbourne (although they have replaced the old wooden trams with sleek modern ones) and have also used the trams in Milan. We will however consider the tram in Sintra.
passported, we will certainly look at your suggestions for a car, but will hire it in the city rather than the airport as we will not need the car in Belem or Rossio.
jpie - O Arista Boutique Suites in Lisbon certainly look lovely, but are way beyond our budget. I have found some apartments in Belem that are either on the ground floor or on the first floor or even occasionally have an elevator, most within cooee of the Jeronimos Monastery. Places on the ground floor or with an elevator get a little more difficult to locate in the towns outside the major cities but I have found a few and will be short listing them when I have a confirmed date in mind. We will be keeping a close eye on your reports.

Do any of you know how to book a tour of the Lisbon Theatre? We missed out on the ones in Puglia as we could not find how to book the tours on line and locals were not particularly helpful. In the end when we went to the theatre to enquire about a tour, we found that it was on a day we were not in those cities. Had we known earlier, we might have been able to manipulate our itinerary to include it.
Many thanks for your suggestions.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would strongly advise against three days in Obidos - do it as a half day trip from Lisbon. Take the bus rather than the train to Evora, the bus station in Evora is more central.

Not sure why you are staying in multiple places around Lisbon, you can get around the area easily with public transport. Add the Museum of the Orient - Museu Fundação Oriente

I have stayed here several times in Lisbon: Residencial Florecente - Residencial Florescente Apartments in the historic center of Lisbon / Apartments in the historic center of Lisbon

It's central, clean, comfortable, not expensive and has an elevator.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Yes I agree O Artista is pricey but that is the splurge property of our trip. In other places we are spending more like 50-75 Euros a night. But since I don't walk long distances hills or stairs all that well we decided to stay there because of its location and the fact that it has an elevator. I just finished booking all the nights for our 30 plus nights in Portugal and our nightly average was around $100 USD. I know this is more than some people budget for lodging but we prefer apartments over hotel rooms and we want A/C, elevator etc.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jpie
We generally stay at apartments if more than two days and pay between 80 and 100Euro.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 06:04 AM

Yes that it generally what we try to pay as well but now that I am old and cranky about wanting an elevator and A/C it seems like we have to pay more towards the top end of that range

BTW the property mentioned above the Residencial Florenscente, looks like it is practically next door to O Artista (which we partly chose so that it would be in a more flat area of Lisbon) so it might be a good choice for the walk-ability factor.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 07:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that you have too much time in Obidos. It is a small, pretty town that today exists for tourism. We made that mistake. Visit it as a day trip. Do not miss Alcobaça.*
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi HappyTrvlr
I chose Obidos as a base from which I am hoping to be able to take some bus trips to other towns not serviced by good rail connections.
It is early days yet and as I find out more information, I can easily change dates and places.
jpie I have already put Ruis in Coimbra on my short list and will be looking up your report on it when you have stayed there next year.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd Value your input as I have on your other trips. However, my husband has developed a non-cancerous (so far) large blood cell disorder which makes him very tired quickly. Hence the need to stay in a place so that he can get back to our lodging when fatigue overcomes him.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your husband, that certainly makes a difference. I notice that this thread is from 2019 - did you go or are you planning?