Which island with teens?

Search

Which island with teens?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2023, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which island with teens?

Hi all - I know that various versions of this question have been asked multiple times but I'm struggling with the decision of where to go. Traveling with a family of 5 (3 teens) in late June to the Caribbean and trying to decide which island is best. Kids want snorkeling, water sports and beach time, and say that they want to just chill out and not sightsee all over the island, but I know they will get bored after a day or two and ideally would like a place that does have at least a couple of things to see or do. Also the kids are not huge seafood fans, which I realize is a bit of an incompatibility on a Caribbean island, but hoping to find an island that has enough other options so that they can find something. Thanks in advance for any thoughts! I did a bit of research on St. Lucia and Aruba and my sense is Aruba might be a bit too crowded/commercial, and St. Lucia possibly a bit too secluded/remote - 20-30 minute drive to restaurants from the resorts? Is there an island that would have a vibe that is somewhere in between? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Old May 5th, 2023, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact that your "kids are not huge seafood fans" isn't going to be an issue no matter which island you finally decide to visit. You will find plenty of food options that will appeal to your teens on every island. Foods like pizza, burgers, ribs, BBQ chicken, steaks, sandwiches of all kinds and other teen favorites are commonplace. You'll even find some popular fast food chains on many islands.

Likewise, activities such as water sports, jet skis, kayaking, small sail and/or power boat rentals, day sails, snorkel excursions, deep sea fishing, ATV excursions, etc can be found on just about every island.

If snorkeling is a high priority for you and your teens consider visiting one of the US or British Virgin Islands. Most of the islands in those chains have beaches with good to very good walk-in snorkeling and you'll find very good to excellent snorkeling that require shot boat trips to reach. St, John (USVI's) and Virgin Gorda (BVI's) will have everything on your wish list and fit your needs perfectly.

Old May 8th, 2023, 12:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
The Buccaneer Resort on St Croix ticked all those boxes for our family of 5 one June. We also wanted to hang out, snorkel, relax at the beach, eat meals on site, etc.

https://www.thebuccaneer.com

We took a snorkel trip to Buck Island nature preserve, from the Buccaneer dock. There’s complimentary water equipment, like kayaks and snorkel gear on site. Also free scuba lessons in the pool.

One day we rented a car from the hotel, and circumnavigated the little island. Your teens might like to see the beer-drinking pigs. Weird, but funny.
We also drove to Rainbow Beach for lunch at Rhythms.
One night we took a cab to town and enjoyed dinner at Savant.
The resort owner hosts a cocktail hour once a week.

It’s a gorgeous property with a family history. Good restaurants. Tennis courts and golf, too. Three beaches, I think.

You’ll get the best service by contacting the Buccaneer directly. We needed three double rooms, and were upgraded to ocean front suites.

It’s a very nice, small resort that does not gouge you, if you need to buy a hat or flip flops. Bug spray is provided in the rooms. Rooms are spotlessly clean.

Last edited by MoBro; May 8th, 2023 at 01:00 PM.