Budapest-Vienna-Prague what was your favorite thing to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are in the midst of planning a 21 day trip to Europe with four nights each in Amsterdam, Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Berlin. We have our plane tickets and the hotels are tentatively booked. At this point we are trying to figure out what are the best things to see and do in each city. We would love to hear suggestions from all of you as to what you enjoyed doing in each of these cities. Thank you for your help and input.

Old Jul 4th, 2023, 10:51 AM

I haven't been to Budapest and it's been a long time since I was in Berlin, actually it was still divided into East and West Berlin when I was there.

In Amsterdam, you should reserve a time slot for the Anne Frank House and the key museums are the Riksmuseum, the Stedjilek and the Van Gogh museum. There is the historic Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue as well as the Jewish History Museum and the Museum of the Resistance. There is also the Rembrandthaus as well as a canal boat ride. You didn't indicate when you will be traveling but that is a lot of places to do in 21 days. In Prague, the Prague Castle, the Charles Bridge, the Jewish Quarter, the Astronomical Clock and Old Town Square, St Vitus Cathedral, Wenceslas Square and there is an incredible monastery near the Prague Castle. We did a one day trip to Theresienstadt but unless a priority for you, you wouldn't likely have enough time. Vienna: St Stephen's Cathedral, Schoenbrunn Palace, the Hofburg, the Belvedere, the Kunst Museum, the Alabertina and the Leopold, the Naschmarket, the Prater Amusement Park with the historic ferris wheel (watch the classic movie, The Third Man for the famous ferris wheel scenes) and there are other sites beyond Vienna itself that can be visited and toured.

It is hard to see and do everything there is to do in this places and of course it depends on your interests. I've been to Amsterdam four times in my life, Vienna twice and just once to Prague but I cannot say that I've seen and done all there is to do especially as things change. I've also done several day trips out of Amsterdam to the Hague as well as to visit the Kroller Muller Museum but that is also a long trip and not likely a priority for most people. Also I've been to the opera in Vienna and that might not be at all of interest to you. I would definitely in Vienna recommend visiting the cafes and enjoying the strudel, so much a part of Viennese culture. I can recommend a sacher torte for sure.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 10:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Buy your tickets to the Anne Frank house asap. They always sell out early.

A day trip to Terezin from Prague is very sobering.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 12:21 PM

21 day trip, 5 cities means you do not have 4 full days in each city. Day 1 arrival day(or maybe departure day depending on where you are flying from) day 4(or 5) transfer day and so on to Day 21 departure day.
How are you getting between these cities? Transfers take a lot of time be it flying or by train.
Why Amsterdam which is very much the outlier in this list?
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

We are flying from San Francisco on May 1 2024 on a direct flight to Amsterdam. At this point, we are planning three full days in each City and the fourth day for travel. We will fly to Budapest from Amsterdam. Taking the train to Vienna (2 1/2 hours, Prague (4 1/2 hours) and Berlin (4 1/2 Hour). We are history buffs especially WWII and the Cold War. However, since I have been to Dachau we will probably not visit any of the camps. My husband played symphony oboe through college and wants to go to the opera or symphony on this trip to hear Straus, Mozart and Dvorak etc. Any ideas are welcome.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although it is very busy with tourists, there is much to see and do in Prague. the Strahov Monastery, the Castle, many, many churches and museums... But the tour of the Jewish Museum, the cemetery and the synagogues has stayed with me, especially the Pinkas Synagogue. FYI, it's a self-guided visit.

https://www.jewishmuseum.cz/en/info/visit/

The tour of the Municipal Hall followed by a cocktail in the bar is another great thing to do.

https://www.obecnidum.cz/en/visits/
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 06:19 PM

Regarding Prague, in addition to all the other suggestions, I highly recommend walking up the hill, along the Vltava River, to Vysehrad. We love this area of Prague. We have been there twice, and it was never crowded with tourists. This is where Prague began. You see the remains of a fortress wall, the small but beautiful St. Peter and St. Paul church, and the amazing National Cemetery where well-known Czechs are buried.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 11:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Sharing some fond memories
Prague : +1 for Karen's Vysehrad suggestion (often overlooked by tourists) and strolling around the Mala Strana (the "other side" of Charles Bridge) after finishing with the castle.
Vienna : Schonbrunn Palace, a music concert in Sala Terrena, the Danube Valley / Wachau tour (if you have time for a daytrip)
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 12:11 AM

May 4th is Remembrance Day in the Netherlands. 2 minutes silence is observed at 8pm. There is a ceremony on the Dam which anyone, along with the King and Queen, can attend. May 5th is Liberation Day.

It is spring break for Dutch school kids, and many will have a 2 week break so the airport may be busy.
It is also peak tulip time so book anything you want to see as soon as tickets become available.

https://www.concertgebouw.nl/en/conc...ate=2024-05-02
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 01:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Budapest, the spas and the spas out of town (often less sophisticated but much nicer) remember there are trains.
Prague, the art deco buildings and the amazing cycle path along the top of a roofed over railway line
Vienna, the museums, especially the MAK, then the little local bars outside of town serving local farm produced foods
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 05:58 AM

A few things that we especially enjoyed in these cities:

Amsterdam - the Dutch Resistance Museum https://www.verzetsmuseum.org/en/wor...he-netherlands and the Amsterdam history museum https://www.amsterdam.info/museums/a...orical_museum/

Vienna - the Music Museum https://www.hausdermusik.com/en/

Budapest - the https://www.terrorhaza.hu/en/museum and the https://www.sziklakorhaz.eu/en
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 09:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
While in Vienna, we bought a Bayern Pass and really enjoyed a day-trip on the Danube to Krems.

If I remember correctly, we took a boat on the Danube to Melk, and toured the lovely abbey there. From there, we took a boat to Krems.

From Krems, we took a train back to Vienna. You need to time it correctly, so you can catch the last train from Krems.

The Bayern Pass covered our family of four, and included all transportation plus entrance to Melk Abbey. This was a few years ago, so check to see if it's still offered. It was a great deal. We did not have a reservation, just walked up and bought it.

Also, in Vienna, seeing the Lipizzaner horses practice or perform is awesome. Their Winter Riding School has an amazing indoor arena.

Last edited by MoBro; Jul 5th, 2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 11:12 AM

Looks like great recommendations for Prague. In the heart of Vienna, we enjoyed St. Stephen's Cathedral. Demel offers lovely sweets and coffee. https://www.demel.com
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 04:35 PM

Vienna
The gardens at Schonnbrun Palace are like a city unto themselves. Many historic buildings and an historic zoo, a farm, and plenty of statuary. Also the gardens in between the two museums of Belvedere Palace is an iconic and sublime sight. Something I've seen in pictures all my life but never realized where it was. The Kunsthaus Wien is dedicated to the art of Hunnertwasser. All the works are permanent installations and the building itself designed by the artist. Of course, just walking around the myriad squares and seeing the amazing architecture.

Prague
I recommend descending the stairs at the end of Charles Bridge to Kampa Island. An oasis of calm, so pretty and so old. Great view of Prague from the Powder Tower. And while you are at Prague Castle, make sure to see the room where they keep the recording of deeds. I saw a couple of black light shows in Prague, with the humble Black Theatre of Jiri Srnec being so memorable.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 05:08 PM

Prague: The Strahov Monastery, as mentioned by others (be sure to visit the library). There is also a brewery/café located directly across from the library, where we enjoyed a nice lunch in the outdoor courtyard. While strolling the Malá Strana, be sure to visit the Vrtba Garden on the slope of Petřín Hill, for a bit a quiet break with beautiful views. Another nice park with views overlooking the city is Letna Park, where there is also a beer garden. Be sure to make every effort to get up early in the morning (even before having breakfast) to stroll through the Old Town and along the Charles Bridge, and do the same after dark.

Vienna: I enjoyed taking photos in the old town (Innere Stadt) as night fell, when buildings such as the Hofburg, city hall, and museums and fountain on Maria-Theresien-Platz are lit up.

Budapest: Again, I enjoyed taking photos along the river as night fell of buildings and sites that were lit up - especially the castle, bastion, Matthias Church, chain bridge, and parliament. We also enjoyed a visit to the Széchenyi Thermal Bath.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MoBro
While in Vienna, we bought a Bayern Pass and really enjoyed a day-trip on the Danube to Krems.

If I remember correctly, we took a boat on the Danube to Melk, and toured the lovely abbey there. From there, we took a boat to Krems.

From Krems, we took a train back to Vienna. You need to time it correctly, so you can catch the last train from Krems.

The Bayern Pass covered our family of four, and included all transportation plus entrance to Melk Abbey. This was a few years ago, so check to see if it's still offered. It was a great deal. We did not have a reservation, just walked up and bought it.

Also, in Vienna, seeing the Lipizzaner horses practice or perform is awesome. Their Winter Riding School has an amazing indoor arena.
Not that I know what this pass was really called, but Bayern is the German name for Bavaria (a state in Germany, not a part of Austria). Are you sure this was the name of the pass you bought?

Lavandula
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 10:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We used the OBB Kombiticket for the Danube-Wachau daytrip from Vienna https://kombitickets.railtours.at/en.../wachau-ticket
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks everyone. Some really great ideas. Were there any organized tours that you would recommend?
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 05:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lavandula
Not that I know what this pass was really called, but Bayern is the German name for Bavaria (a state in Germany, not a part of Austria). Are you sure this was the name of the pass you bought?

Lavandula
You’re probably right. On that trip we visited Vienna, Prague and Munich. We must have used the Bayern Pass for day trips to Salzburg and Neuschwanstein (sp?) from Munich. The Danube trio from Vienna must have been a combi-ticket. It was several years ago. I know it did cover train & boat & Melk abbey at a very low price for the four of us.
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 12:04 PM

The only organized tour that we took was of the Jewish Quarter in Prague as well as to Theresienstadt and our tour guide was excellent. Native Czech but she had studied in Jerusalem and had a very good command of reading Hebrew. She was very informative not only about our tour destinations but she answered many questions about life in Prague under Communism and how the Art Deco architecture survived WWII. I will try to see if I can locate the tour company we used.
Since you are interested in WWII and Cold War History, there will be many sites in Berlin that will definitely be of interest as well as in Budapest.
In terms of getting to see a symphony or opera performance, you need to reach out to the venues websites and check schedules as most classical music seasons end in early to mid-May. Here in NY that is the case with both the Met Opera and the NYPHIL but there are of course different festivals and events. When we were in Prague we met two women in our hotel who were on a two week cultural trip and it was early November, primarily to go to the Berlin Philharmonic, the symphony in Dresden and in Prague as well as the Vienna Philharmonic. In terms of the opera in Vienna, there is a line for standing room however you will not be permitted on the line unless you are dressed appropriately. Not needing to wear a ball gown but you cannot wear shorts or leggings or tee shirts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -