Search

New Mexico Trip - October 2023

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2023, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mexico Trip - October 2023

Hi, all.

My friend and I are headed to NM in October. We are staying 3 nights in Albuquerque for a conference and then headed out for some sight seeing.

Some points of interest that we want to see are:
  • Sante Fe (?)
  • White Sands National Park ✅
  • Carlsbad Caverns National Park ✅

Has anyone done a similar trip? Have any recommendations?

We have a rental car and 4 additional nights after Albuquerque.

Thank you!
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 10:57 AM

Will your dates correspond with those of the Balloon Fiesta? Don’t miss it if you are in Albuquerque then!

https://balloonfiesta.com
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 04:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Do visit Santa Fé and then also go up to Taos for wonderful displays of Indian jewelry for sale.

Old Aug 7th, 2023, 05:28 AM

We did White sands and Carlsbad Caverns as well as Gilda Cliff dwellings on a trip several years ago. There is a lot to see along the way, but Santa Fe is in the opposite direction from Carlsbad and White Sands, if they are your priority I would guess they would occupy 4 days travel and park time. Could you run up to Santa Fe for a quick trip on one of your days in Albuquerque?

Last edited by oldemalloy; Aug 7th, 2023 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Info
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 02:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would prioritize Santa Fe and Taos for those days. I have been to those parks and they are worthwhile but secondary to the two cities/towns.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 09:45 AM

There's not much to see/do at White Sands. Just a lot of sand. We got stuck in the sand there once when driving backroads. Had to deflate the tires to get back onto pavement. I second the idea to focus on Santa Fe. I did enjoy Alb. Old Town with its plaza surrounded by shops and restaurants. It's also fun to go up the Sandia Tramway if you have time. For many this ancient Spanish Colonial town Santa Fe is magical with its historic plaza containing the Palace of the Governors (1610) and the nearby oldest house (1646) and church (1610) in America. The narrow streets are lined with sleepy adobe homes squatting behind hand-carved wooden gates. It has many cultures including that of those descended from the original Spanish colonists, Native American, New Age, artistic, and more. There is lovely but expensive Southwestern artwork and jewelry in the many galleries on Canyon Road. Be sure to eat traditional New Mexican food which differs from Tex-Mex. Posters on here have recommended El Shed. Other places to see are the Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, Museum of Spanish Colonial Art, Santa Fe Botanical Garden, Meow Wolf Museum, Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, Tuseque Pueblo and Museum of International Folk Art and Palace of the Governors.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 09:39 AM

I would recommend a visit to Acoma Pueblo Sky City and the high road to Taos.

I also liked the Gila (not Gilda!) cliff dwellings and a loop out the back side of the Manzanos but I think that's for people who have already done the main touristy stuff first.

Check the Acoma Pueblo website to see if you can schedule a tour to Sky City around the time of your visit. They are just reopening.
Sky_City_Cultural_Center_In-Person_Tours__2023.pdf
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb
I would recommend a visit to Acoma Pueblo Sky City,
Check the Acoma Pueblo website to see if you can schedule a tour to Sky City around the time of your visit. They are just reopening.
Attachment 8177
Great that they have reopened. It's a magical place perched on the mesa. Oldest inhabited village in America and dating from 1200s AD. Interesting adobe houses and the ancient church has four-foot-wide walls.

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Aug 9th, 2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White Sands is wonderful, and Carlsbad Caverns not to be missed. JMO, depends on your preferences.