Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Where do you recommend we vacation for a relaxing trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2023, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband (32m) and I (31f) would like to go on a relaxing, slow travel vacation in June.

We just returned from a 2 week Italy vacation and I feel that I learned some things about how I do and don't like to travel.
  • I learned I do not like being in areas that are chaotic and/or over-touristed.
    • I had anxiety and felt overwhelmed in Florence and the Amalfi Coast.
      • Florence was still amazing to visit, but I felt relieved when we were leaving the city for the Tuscan countryside.
      • I did not like the Amalfi Coast. I had a couple anxiety attacks here. All our walking routes were among the chaotic traffic and there were way too many people even though we were visiting in October during shoulder season. There were also a lot of social media influencer type people. I know I shouldn't let other people bother me on a vacation, but I felt uncomfortable and out of my element.
  • I loved Venice and Tuscany.
    • Getting off the tourist track in Venice was a magical experience.
    • Tuscany was slow and laid back. We stayed at an agriturismo and loved visiting old towns in the Val d'Orcia region and Umbria. It was an incredible experience.
Taking lessons from our Italy trip, we're looking to do a slow travel vacation next June. We're thinking of allotting 8 full days to our vacation. (10-12 total if you consider arrival and departure days.) We'll be flying from the United States.

Things I like for a vacation:
  • Mixture of variety and slow pace
  • Beautiful nature areas
  • Locations not swarming with tourists
  • Good food
  • Charming towns
  • Anything quaint and cozy
  • Sunny and blue skies
Things my husband likes for vacation:
  • Good food
  • Good lodging
  • Nice weather
  • Areas where people can speak some English
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 06:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you thinking of any particular part of the world? Europe again? Or somewhere else entirely?
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

I'm open to any international travel destinations
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 08:47 PM

Except for the weather bit Scotland ticks every one of your boxes.

The problem with the weather . . . it could be gorgeous. Scotland in fine weather has some of the most gorgeous places on earth. Or - it could be almost wintery . . . or fine and wintery on the same day. Can we say changeable?? Being an island with weather coming from every direction, one never knows more that a day or two before what to expect.

I've been to Scotland many times but instead of linking one of my trip reports -- here is a Recent TR of what it is like when the wether cooperates. It is looooong and prepare to fall in love! Our SPECTACULAR Scottish Journey!!!

I'd recommend NZ or OZ but June is their winter

Old Oct 19th, 2023, 06:08 AM

https://www.timeout.com/croatia/trav...oatian-islands

consider Croatia, one of the main areas or one of the Croatian islands. I have friends that went there, not too long ago and they loved it. English is commonly spoken, the people are friendly, and the food is very good. If you like seafood, especially this is a great place to go. They

He
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you considered Mexico?
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 03:12 PM

Take a look at the Azores, my go to place to destress. In June you should have fine weather. If you like Portuguese food you will love the Azores. In June the islands are covered with flowers, roads often lined with huge hydrangeas. People are great and many speak English. Old towns and villages abound. Nature is the attraction on the islands, night life definitely not.
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 06:33 AM

In the US consider Santa Fe. Nice lodging, good food, interesting museums, nearby parks like Bandelier or Tent Rocks, or pueblos like Taos for hiking and history.

I never have felt crushed by crowds in the city, but there usually were enough other folks to avoid the feeling of a dead place that I can get in some cities after dark.
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 10:40 PM

I’d recommend Norway and Sweden. 👍 I've been to both and really loved the super chill vibes and how like everyone speaks English. The nature is insanely beautiful too! As for Norway, I personally preferred Bergen and Stavanger over Oslo.
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 11:44 AM

Go to Ras Al Khaimah Its a very quiet and calm place you gonna love it. It's one the state of UAE. This is the best season to live there! I have been there for 2 weeks god I love that! The rest of UAE states are so crowdy especially Dubai but you gonna love to Ras al Khaimah
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 04:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Things I like for a vacation:
  • Mixture of variety and slow pace
  • Beautiful nature areas
  • Locations not swarming with tourists
  • Good food
  • Charming towns
  • Anything quaint and cozy
  • Sunny and blue skies
Things my husband likes for vacation:
  • Good food
  • Good lodging
  • Nice weather
  • Areas where people can speak some English
You are looking for places that are attractive to tourists but don't want to share it with others?

I know of a few places but keeping them to myself....

Old Jan 12th, 2024, 11:22 AM

Switzerland. I suggest Switzerland. Fly into Geneva and go along Lac Leman to the towns like Vevey and Montreux. Weather is beautiful in the summer. It is very organized yet relaxed there, the opposite of tourist chaos.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just keep in mind that June is the start of the Summer Season and, with that, the start of the summer festivals. Mostly starting on the 21st, the Summer Solstice. All I'm saying here is if you want to avoid lots of people, both locals and tourists, when you narrow down a selection, check to see if there's a festival going on. My husband and I are partial to Festivals (presumably the opposite of you), so we tend to focus on travel where there's a lot going on, particularly celebrations of sorts. For example, all over France on the 21st, there is the annual fête de la musique with stages springing up all over the country. This festival, over the years, has cropped up in nearby countries, so keep that in mind.

suze suggested the Lac leman area in Switzerland, and Vevey and Montreux in particular. However, in June Montreux will be gearing up for its annual Jazz Festival that starts July 5th and runs until the 20th. It garners over 200,000 participants (and yes, we've gone several times, and it is spectacular! We go for the pop and rock, not the jazz part!). Other parts of Switzerland would be ideal, as I've found the summer visitors are much smaller than the winter visitors, who generally go there to ski. I've gone both seasons.

Italy is another country in June where there are a lot of festivals, from religious (like Saint Peter and Paul Day) to the summer solstice.(all over the country).

So just keep in mind the summer festivals, including loads of music festivals, in celebration of the summer!
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 05:49 PM

Yes I know that. But since the Jazz Festival does not start until July in can't see it stopping a June trip to that area.

My first suggestion was for Mexico
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 10:23 PM

I absolutely love Northern Italy during Summer and Thailand in Winter because of the obvious climate. But, my absolute favorite has to be Switzerland to visit all year round, in summer it's nice and cool and if you can handle cold climate then definitely visit there in winter. The snow in winter makes everything almost ethereal, especially the mountain peaks.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 08:51 AM

The OP has not posted on this topic or any other thread) for five months. Either not interested or forgot they asked???
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 09:53 PM

A few places come to mind that might fit what you're looking for. One is Portugal - you mentioned liking the Azores suggestion, and the mainland coast is also beautiful and very chill. Small towns, amazing food and wine, great beaches too. Another is Ireland. You could base somewhere like Galway and spend a week exploring the coast and Aran Islands very leisurely.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 03:34 AM

You should definitely consider visiting the Maldives! It's the perfect place to find peace, tranquility, and breathtaking natural beauty.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 06:03 AM

I recommend a travel to Tibet. I ended my trip last May. It was a wonderful experience with beautiful natural sightseeing and rich local Tibetan culture. Tibet deserves to visit.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 01:07 PM

Do not feel Fodors Travel Forum is an appropriate venue for your issues; speak with your medical providers who seem to be bound these days to inquire about ones emotional and mental health. Or speak to close friends with whom you are comfortable, not strangers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -