Presidents day travel to Orlando parks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2023, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. We'll visit Florida over Presidents day week. Day 1 would be presidents day. Should we start with Orlando or Miami? In terms of crowd is it better to be in Orlando theme parks in Presidents Day and the weekdays after (Mon-Thu) or over the following weekend (Thu-Sun)? We're looking at Diney / Universal.

2. What are some experiences in Disney / Universal Orlando we should book 60 days up front? We have kids (5yo, 7yo).
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 02:31 AM
J62

What is it that draws you to Miami with two young kids? It wouldn't rate on my top 10 list.

The day of the week won't make a difference at Orlando parks. Time day is more important. Get there early if you can, take a break during the busiest part of the day to play at the hotel pool and/or rest, and return in the evening. Kids that age don't have the stamina for a whole day at a park.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

regarding Miami - actually not the city itself, we will go to Everglades for a day, meet family next day, and then go to the keys. Are everglades / keys good for kids?
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 08:30 AM
J62

Originally Posted by traveler_t
Are everglades / keys good for kids?
my 2c, no to both

Old Dec 17th, 2023, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the heads up. since we are already near Miami for a family visit, is there any alternative in the area which is good for kids? Was thinking the tram ride in Everglades Shark Valley seems appropriate and then maybe they would enjoy a day at the keys (Turtle hospital, park, etc).
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 04:05 PM
J62

A tram ride listening to a naturalist talk about the wonders of the swamp doesn’t strike me as 5/7 year old thrilling. They cant get out and wander over to the water to look for alligators. Actually they can but Darwin wouldn’t advise it….

Nor does the 3hr drive to the Keys. Each way…

buts that just my 4c. But you know your kids best. If it were me I’d head north and find a beach before going to Orlando. .
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 04:00 PM

There are a few things in the Keys to occupy a child such as the Turtle Rescue and Dolphin Encounter but whether it is worth the drive, I don't know. There is traffic when you leave Miami and then you are on a two lane road for the rest of the way. While some of the drive is scenic, a lot is not as that is where local people need to shop, go to church or school, go to the dentist, lots of boat yards. There are several state parks with nature walks and last year the Eco Center in Key West reopened but it was only open two days a week last year when it reopened. Presumably opened for more days this year.
Did you plan to fly into Orlando and out of Miami? I do believe that Miami has a zoo and a bird sanctuary that years ago friends took their kids too.