Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Denmark and Sweden for 4 days cheaper with a travel agency?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are organized by travel agency trips from my counrry to Copenhagen as well as Malmo, Lund, Helsignborg/Helsingør including the Kronborg castle. Most cost about 615 EUR for 4 nights including the hotels and plane tickets. Breakfast is also included which is nice.

I tried to calculate 4 nights in Copenhagen hotels with breakfast and the airplane tickets. When I add the transport costs between so many cities it turns out more expensive to organize this trip by myself?! I though booking by myself must be cheaper?

Even if I select the cheapest Copenhagen hotels without breakfast on Booking.com it would be about 480-500 EUR just for sleeping the 4 nights. When I add train tickets the budget goes above the 615 EUR price of the organized trip by the travel agencies. And that's not even including the WizzAir or RyanAir tickets! While the TA trip has them included in the 615 EUR price tag.

Even with the hidden costs like museum and ferry tickets it seems using a TA for Scandinavia appears cheaper. I think they get discounts for bookimg mode people at hotels because if I add breakfasts I can never match that price from hotel alone. In that case would you book with a TA? I'd rather enjoy breakfasts and seeing the Kronborg castle. Maybe Airbnb would be cheaper to rent but again I won't have a tour guide and I actually prefer hotels for safety. Should I just book the 615 EUR TA offer?
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 06:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is always possible to go cheaper. But... it may mean you are not in the heart of the action but in an industrial estate with mere drive bys. Read the details of what they offer carefully and understand what each phrase means. "See the capital" means just that, it does not mean "visit the capital".
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I read their itinerary and it seems quite a nice bang for the buck for seeing the must sees in Copenhagen and around. I also feel like I prefer group trips more than solo ones, at least for places I've never been to.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tanek
Thanks, I read their itinerary and it seems quite a nice bang for the buck for seeing the must sees in Copenhagen and around. I also feel like I prefer group trips more than solo ones, at least for places I've never been to.
so not really a question then ;-)