Search

Switzerland hiking late August/ early September

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2024, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland hiking late August/ early September

Hello,
We are looking for recommendations on routes for a trip to Switzerland late August early September. We'd be coming from the US flying in and out of Zurich. Typically, we fly in someplace and out of another, and considered doing that here, but looks as though in and out of Zurich would be the most efficient route (unless there is another recommendation). We want to spend a few days hiking of course. For that, we wouldn't be looking for anything real technical. We had picked out Appenzell but looking at the other destinations we'd be looking at, that might be out of the way. Is Appenzell a must see? Outside of that we have Lucerne, Rigi, Bern, Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken on the short list so far. Outside of hiking, we just like historic "cool" towns to walk around and explore with quaint pubs to pop into. This comment will probably annoy some, since we are tourists, but generally try to avoid areas that are overly crowded and touristy. Additionally, we are looking for a stop in Northern Italy, potentially. Stresa perhaps? We'd probably have 8 nights. We are at the early stages of planning and just looking for some advice to narrow our search a bit. Oh, and the plan as of now would be to utilize public transport, we aren't planning to hire a car (but could). Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 03:44 AM

We usually base out of Brienz. Lovely village on the lake. Nice shops, restaurants. Not nearly as crowded as Interlaken. For hikes, I suggest taking the train from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte. Incredible views if the weather is nice and a variety of hikes at the top, from easy to difficult, long or short - and if it hasn’t been too dry - late summer alpine wildflowers. Lauterbrunnen and Murren are lovely. Several easy to hard hikes from there, but expect loads of people. We very much enjoyed Kandersteg last year. Take the gondola to the top and then relax or hike around Oeschinsee - arguably the most beautiful alpine lake in Switzerland. Assuming you have a car, drive from Brienz over Susten Pass to Andermatt, the nicest drive in the alps. We've jumped over to Italy a couple of times. Amazing visits. We love Italy, but we prefer the Swiss side.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 07:11 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Is Appenzell a must see?

We've been visiting Switzerland on a near yearly basis for 25 years and have yet to visit Appenzell, so evidently it's not a must see for us.

Most first time visitors to Switzerland head for the Jungfrau Region - the Berner Oberland. That's what we did for several years before we expanded our horizons and began visiting the Engadine and other less touristed areas in Switzerland.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...ngfrau-region/

August will be busy - so if you truly want to avoid the tourist throng you're best to avoid where most of them go, and unfortunately that includes every place on your list.

Switzerland is a fabulous place for using public transport - I highly recommend you leave that car behind.

With only eight nights though, you'll be quite limited. If Northern Italy is a must, you might consider visiting the Upper Engadine (towns include Sils, Silvaplana, St. Moritz, Celerina, Pontresina, Samedan, Bever, La Punt Chamues-ch, Madulain, Zuoz and S-chanf) and then heading over the Maloja pass and then into Italy - you might even consider a stay in the beautiful village of Soglio before heading into Chiavenna, Italy.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...ations/soglio/

https://www.italia.it/en/lombardy/chiavenna

Bear in mind though, with only eight nights (seven days) you really won't have time to venture deep into Switzerland, let alone Italy. You could however, head to the Engadine from Zurich, spend a few nights in one of the villages there (my choice would be Sils, Celerina or Zuoz) perhaps take a day trip to Soglio, and then continue into Italy for a night or two (Chiavenna is on the border and one of my favorite Italian towns - food nirvana) and then head back towards Zurich.

We've visited Varenna and Belliago from a Chiavenna base, but you really need more time.

We've visited Stresa and
the Borromean Islands from a Domodosolla, Italy base, which can be accessed from Brig, Switzerland, which might be something you want to look into.

This can all be done with public transportation.

We always buy a Half Fare Card (which will also get you as far as Chiavenna and Domodossolla, Italy), but our trips tend to be a month or more, so you'd have to crunch the numbers to see if it's cost effective for your particular plans. The pass sells for 120 chf per person and does what it says, provides transport at half fare, although there are some exceptions.

We've made many trips to these areas and I have several detailed trip reports here that might help you with logistics. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the links.

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 2nd, 2024 at 07:21 AM.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 08:56 AM

Forget rainy and foggy Appenzell if you plan to hike in the Alps and to proceed up to Stresa.

There are excellent hiking possibilities on both sides of the border, that means in the Swiss "Matterhorn"-Canton of Valais (Brig, Saas Fee, Aletsch Glacier, Monte Rosa.......) and in the adjacent Italian Province of Verbania-Cusio-Ossola (many scenic panoramic trails are border crossing)
May be you tell us
how many days and how many hrs per day you plan to hike
whether you prefer hikes in high mountains and on glaciers (strenuous or easy) or rather along lakes and vineyards......
whether you like overcrowded trails (like most people in this forum) or rather the contrary...
Small scenic historic city centers (and tons of casltes and old churches) can be found every where in this area.

If we know all that, we can make some proposals
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomcarter0023
We usually base out of Brienz. Lovely village on the lake. Nice shops, restaurants. Not nearly as crowded as Interlaken. For hikes, I suggest taking the train from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte. Incredible views if the weather is nice and a variety of hikes at the top, from easy to difficult, long or short - and if it hasn’t been too dry - late summer alpine wildflowers. Lauterbrunnen and Murren are lovely. Several easy to hard hikes from there, but expect loads of people. We very much enjoyed Kandersteg last year. Take the gondola to the top and then relax or hike around Oeschinsee - arguably the most beautiful alpine lake in Switzerland. Assuming you have a car, drive from Brienz over Susten Pass to Andermatt, the nicest drive in the alps. We've jumped over to Italy a couple of times. Amazing visits. We love Italy, but we prefer the Swiss side.
Great advice! My favourite pass drive is Susten, Grimsel and Furka. It's a loop drive and quite stunning.

Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far, all. After a bit more digging, it looks like we'll probably cut Italy out of the trip. We don't want to pack too much in.. So, as of now we are looking at flying in and out of Zurich. We're looking at dividing our time between Lucerne, Jungfrau, and now either Potresina (@melnq8 I saw in someone else's feed that you aren't a huge fan?) or someplace in the upper Engadine, or towards Geneva (considering Lausanne). Are there any strong opinions between Engadine and Geneva? Looks as though you can't throw a stick without hitting excellent hiking, so we aren't concerned about specific trails. Looks as though there will be plenty of opportunity around Grindenwald. We'd also take the advice of only using public transport. Thanks again.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 04:51 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
and now either Potresina (@melnq8 I saw in someone else's feed that you aren't a huge fan?)

Pontresina wouldn't be my choice, but many people love it. Just be aware that if arriving by train, you'll want to connect to a bus to get up to town, as it's separated by a rather long, steep hill. I prefer Celerina; it's smaller, and more my speed. Also just a stone's throw from St Mortiz without having to stay in St Mortiz.

Looks as though you can't throw a stick without hitting excellent hiking

True that!

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 07:15 AM

Melnq8 and others who have responded are much more knowledgeable than we are. That said, we spent about 10 days in Switzerland in late August/early September 2022, with our hiking bases (4 nights each) in Saas-Fee and Kandersteg. We found both to have enough going on but not terribly crowded, with great hiking in the area. We flew in/out of Zurich on that trip and spent the first night in Weggis (across the lake from Luzern and below Rigi) and last night in Zurich.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:48 AM

Have a great time wherever you decide to go! But be advised that some Swiss experts are already predicting that this year's warm winter (warmest Feb since Switzerland started keep records more than 150 years ago) could very likely yield a bumper crop of ticks, wasps, hornets etc. Last week we already saw wasps buzzing around in Basel. Am hoping for a sharp, multi-day cold snap in March but that's a pretty unrealistic wish.