Seward to Anchorage trip information

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2024, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions for those familiar with Seward, Alaska and Anchorage, Alaska.

1. What is the best mode of transport from Seward to Anchorage?

2. Are there any places of interest in Seward or on the way from Seward to Anchorage? We are traveling with 3 kids - two of them are 5 yr olds and one is 8 year old

3. Is it worth spending one night at Anchorage after a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage?If yes, what places would you recommend in Anchorage?
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is your ship docking in Seward or Anchorage?

1. Car
2. Seward has a sealife center your kids would enjoy. We also visited the Seavey’s IdidaRide, sled dog facility tour. Our daughter was 7 at the time and loved the sled dog puppies to pet!
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 09:22 PM

I would rather spend the night in Seward. Anchorage is sort of a dump with a big homeless issue. One way car rental $$ book well in advance. There are also shuttles.Along the way is a wildlife rehab center and some nice scenery at Turnagain Arm. Yes to Sea Life Center.
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 12:22 AM

We also stopped to take tram ride up Alyeska. Finmto see view and snow at the top. Walk around docks in Seward. You will probably see otters. Agree Sea Life Center is good. Even friends who,live in AK like taking kids to wildlife center.
check salmon runs. We watched salmon fishing along Seward Highway. I rhink it was Bird Creek in early August. You can see the fish and lots of activity,
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 07:58 AM

Ship cannot dock in Anchorage so it is either Seward or Whittier. The entire area between Anchorage and Seward is especially scenic and Seward is a cute town. We stayed at the Harbor360 Hotel although we could not get a room with a harbor view. The hotel has a small pool. Sealife Center would be ideal for kids your age. I enjoyed it as an adult and also loved the Seavey Iditaride, so interesting to learn about the mushers, the race and how the dogs are trained as well as chance to pet the new pups. Girdwood has the Alyeska Tram with the incredible view as long as it is not super foggy. There is also the very interesting Wildlife Conservation Center.

If you do need to overnight in Anchorage, we stayed in the midtown area at the Hyatt Place with better than average hotel breakfast, immaculately clean and large room, great pool and hot tub. There is complimentary shuttle to the airport. We did take the PeopleMover bus to downtown Anchorage to walk around and explore but with a family your size, I would probably cab it. The Anchorage Museum is great and we did a nice walk along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail and we enjoyed a nice dinner in the casual restaurant at the venerable Captain Cook Hotel. There are several well-regarded pizza places as well.
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 01:51 PM

So many flights out of Anchorage are red eyes that you may not have to spend the night.

Seward is far superior as an arrival port vs Whittier. Unfortunately a lot of cruise lines shifted to Whittier where there is ZERO to do other than leave!! (Yes I suppose you could do one of the glacier cruises but it makes little sense if you are coming in on a cruise!)
A year ago I took a northbound cruise to Whittier, took the ACT bus shuttle direct to Anchorage and rented a car from the airport for the day. Went to the Tony Knowles trail, actually. Yes it's nice if the weather is good and there was a playground next door. If not, one of the museums I guess.

A friend who goes to Alaska several times a year for work always stays at the Captain Cook but her boss is paying. Birding groups usually stay at the Coast Inn at Lake Spenard. It has a good happy hour deal in the restaurant Piper's. Sometimes you hear remarks about sketchy people in the parking lot but we didn't have any issues.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 8th, 2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 11:18 AM

we stayed in the midtown area
Note that the homeless problem is worse here in midtown than downtown. Probably worth staying here for the free parking, but make sure your car is locked and parked in a lighted area with security cameras. It's a bad problem you can't really ignore even as a short time visitor.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 01:08 PM

If you have the time, I would definitely stay in Seward to take the kids to the sealife center. They can see the critters up close. Getting to Anchorage from Seward by car is the best because it is the most beautiful drive, IMHO. There are scenic pullouts and the Alaska Conservation Center is on the way--again, the kids can see critters up close. If you have the time, Anchorage is worth staying for at least a day. the anchorage museum has a large section for kids with Alaska related science exhibits and hands on things to do. You can make a full day out of the Museum and the Alaska Native Heritage Center. That center has outdoor exhibits of traditional Native dwellings and a short video to introduce the major Alaska native tribes. In the summer, there are Native artisans demonstrating traditional art. They also have native dancers or Native Olympic demonstrations, etc. Hope you have a good trip!
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 07:17 AM

I'm thinking the kids might really enjoy the train from Seward to Anchorage. It leaves around 6pm and takes 4 hours. That would give you the day in Seward, although you could also spend a night there. Once in Anchorage, there are several hotels closeby in downtown, or you could (as mentioned aleady) catch a red-eye flight out. We've done both the regular and goldstar class service - the latter gives you wonderful views, but both are fun. I've stayed at both the Hilton Anchorage and the Historic Anchorage Hotel, both downtown nearby. My cousin used to stay at the Captain Cook, but on business so not her own dime.

Here is the link for the train: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-...hoC3xcQAvD_BwE