Peloponnesus in May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 05:20 AM
JSG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peloponnesus in May

Hello

my husband and I are thinking of going to the Peloponnese in May. We’re wondering how busy it will be and whether we will be able to enjoy beaches at that time of year. It will be less busy than the summer months, but will it still be lively with tourists and locals? Will there be sunbathing and swimming at the beaches?

thank you
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:43 AM

May 5th is Greek Orthodox Easter this year, so popular places, eg Nafplio, are likely to be busy around that part of the month. I’ve only been to the Peloponnese in mid September, but found beaches in the south less windy than the Cyclades Islands, for example. Messinia and Laconia have some beautiful beaches, equal to any on the islands.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:36 AM
JSG
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:43 AM

When in May? We were in Nafplio in May 2022, in the latter part of May. We did spend an afternoon on the beach in Nafplio. Arvanita, I think. People were swimming. I think temps were in the 80’s. There is a bar/cafe there, but because it was early in the season they were limited in what they were serving. We used the loungers.

Nafplio was lively in May with tourists and locals. We saw our best sunset in Nafplio. There certainly were tourists at the places we visited, such as Epidauros, Mystras, and Mycenae but they weren’t overcrowded. May is a perfect month to visit Greece.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 02:44 AM
JSG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
When in May? We were in Nafplio in May 2022, in the latter part of May. We did spend an afternoon on the beach in Nafplio. Arvanita, I think. People were swimming. I think temps were in the 80’s. There is a bar/cafe there, but because it was early in the season they were limited in what they were serving. We used the loungers.

Nafplio was lively in May with tourists and locals. We saw our best sunset in Nafplio. There certainly were tourists at the places we visited, such as Epidauros, Mystras, and Mycenae but they weren’t overcrowded. May is a perfect month to visit Greece.
Thank you. Sounds great. We’re probably going in the middle of the month for two weeks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:17 AM

I am a senior now (age 72, officially), and have travelled throughout Greece since 1970 (as my moniker would suggest), but the islands of Corfu and Kefalonia should be on your list, especially if you want uncrowded beaches, good restaurants, horse-back riding, grottos & caves to explore, and fantastic resorts.

Just sayin'...and late May/early June would be the best time in my mind, with daytime temperatures hovering between 30 and 35 Celsius routinely, and no crowds.