Search

I need to get confirmation regarding a quote given to us for 300 US dollars

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2024, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to get confirmation regarding a quote given to us for 300 US dollars

Hello everyone

Me and my partner will be visiting mexico in coming few months and its our first time, (going to Playa del carmen)

I was hoping to get some feedbacks regarding a whole day private tour service to visit Tulum, Chichen, secret river, cenotes etc?

when we spoke to the person doing the tour, (he does have a lot of followers and great reviews), the price given to us is close to 300 bucks just for one day, just want to confirm is this is normally how its priced for a day tour?

and also, was hoping some suggestions, we know that for travellers, the only way to go to playa is via Cancun airport, and from what we have research, Cancun to Playa is like an hour drive? or something?

and a lot of people suggested us not to take the taxi, but settle for private services as its better and cheaper

so, this leads to my bonus question

whats the best option you guys suggest to go to Playa from Cancun?

hoping I can get some info, thanks in advance
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 11:25 AM

Hello,

To start with your bonus question. The best and cheapest option to go between Cancun airport and Playa del Carmen is to take the ADO transfer bus. It runs about every 30 minutes from Terminal 2 to the tourist bus station in the center of Playa del Carmen and takes about one hour and 30 minutes. Some departures are via the ADO terminal in the center of Cancun and takes a little longer. The price is about 250 pesos (15 USD).

I have not used any private tours in Playa Del Carmen but 300 USD seems quite expensive in my opinon.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jodah73
Hello,

To start with your bonus question. The best and cheapest option to go between Cancun airport and Playa del Carmen is to take the ADO transfer bus. It runs about every 30 minutes from Terminal 2 to the tourist bus station in the center of Playa del Carmen and takes about one hour and 30 minutes. Some departures are via the ADO terminal in the center of Cancun and takes a little longer. The price is about 250 pesos (15 USD).

I have not used any private tours in Playa Del Carmen but 300 USD seems quite expensive in my opinon.
Thank you sir, am glad someone is using this forum

I take you been to Playa before? any recommendation where to stay? food and leisure stuff?
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have used a private transfer from the airport to Playa and it took about 30 minutes
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by nathanielgalleta0928
Thank you sir, am glad someone is using this forum

I take you been to Playa before? any recommendation where to stay? food and leisure stuff?
Yes, I stayed in Playa a few days in May last year. I stayed in the city center at the Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya. The cost of accomodation in Playa starts at 30 USD/night up to 1000 USD or more. Many of the budget and midrange options are located in the city center while many four and five star resorts are located along the beach west and east of the center. I recommend using Booking.com to find an accomodation of your likings.

There are a many restaurants in the center. I liked the ”Muy Salsa” on 5th avenue. There is a Walmart on Avenue 30. You can find several tour agencies along 5th Avenue offering day tours. Ask around on site before you book.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 08:05 PM

"a whole day private tour service to visit Tulum, Chichen, secret river, cenotes, etc"

This plan might be better suited for completion over the course of several days. Chichen is quite distant from Playa. Another way to visit Chichen would be to spend at least one night (and preferably several nights) closer to there, in the interesting town of Valladolid. There is a nice cenote right in Valladolid and several cavern-like ones are just a short taxi ride from town.

And, for just two people, taking public transportation would be much cheaper than paying for a private tour. Taking inexpensive local vans or buses would be especially convenient for travel between Playa and Tulum. Longer bus trips linking Playa to Valladolid can also be made, with a transfer at either Tulum or downtown Cancun.

Last edited by chrisdaniel0933; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 08:10 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 04:12 PM

To start, you are being asked to pay close to $300 for a day tour; is that for each person or for both? Whichever, you are literally being taken for a ride, because most of your day will be spent driving from place to place. For example: From Playa to Tulum is approximately one hour driving time. From Tulum to Chichen is another 2 hours driving, from Chichen back to Playa is another 2 hours(driving times are approximate, obtained from Google Maps). If you want some time touring those places, add another 3-5 hours,or do you just want to drive there and be able to say you've been there?
Next, ADO buses: others have suggested the use of public transport, rather than a much more expensive private system. For those who are new to travel in Mexico, the first thing that comes to mind when hearing "bus travel", is the well known chicken bus, which is a term applied to old, broken down buses, usually running between towns in the rural areas. The ADO buses are luxury coaches, with air conditioning, reclining seats, restrooms, luggage storage, some even serving snacks. If you want to be taken for a ride, this is the way to go.
Last, but certainly not least, listen to Chris Daniel; he's a very experienced Mexico traveler, who was a frequent poster on the old Lonely Planet Thorntree Mexico forum.