Pregnant and a 4 yr old - italy or spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2024, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 3 living in California - our daughter is almost 4. and I am currently pregnant. For our babymoon (vacation before the baby comes) in May/ June for abt 10 days, I cant help thinking of Italy and/or Spain. Even though hawaii or mexico would be the more practical choice, considering our location. We have not been to Spain, we have been to Rome, Florence and cinque terre before we had a kid. So I was wondering about Amalfi coast, but looks like it s not kid or pregnancy friendly. So maybe tuscany? Spain - we have no idea , heard Malaga is great, so please suggest some options.

Factors to keep in mind :
1. Relaxing vacation with either a pool or beach access
2. I will be 22+ weeks , so ease of climbing, walking needs to be kept in mind
3. Kid loves pasta all three of us love italian food. Spanish food - sometimes because husband s vegetarian and often he doesn't find options
4. The entire vacation doesnt have to be kid-friendy or kid centric. but as long as there are at least parts of the day where she enjoys too, we ll be peaceful.

thank you in advance!
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Having dragged our kid from California to Italy since he was 13 months old (where he had the time of his life chasing pigeons in St. Mark's Square in Venice), I wouldn't hesitate to say Italy would be my choice . . . they LOVE babies and little kids!

My suggestion with your pregnancy and a 4 year old, with relaxation and a pool would be the Island of Capri. For a family of 3, I'd stay at the Hotel Syrene, close to the main square at the top of the funicular in Capri Town. It is also very close to the best gelato place in Italy (IMO). Although we didn't stay in this hotel, we used their pool (because the pool at our hotel was being renovated). It's a wonderful hotel just made for families, but a touch of luxury. Aside from hanging out at the hotel, you could also go down the funicular to the Marina, and your 4 year old can play in the shallow, clear water at the little rocky beach and find wonderful smooth sea glass and worn mosaic pieces. That area down at the Marina reminded me of Avalon bay on Catalina island off the southern California coast, where we've gone almost every July 4th.

At the time of year you're going, you could take the train from Rome to Naples, then take the ferry to Capri, or do what we did, which was take the train from Rome to Salerno, then take the ferry to Positano, then take a ferry directly to Capri. If you wanted, you could spend a night or two in Positano, but in your case, I'd select a hotel right down at the water like the Buco di Bacco.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 02:17 PM

If I were going to Capri or points south, I’d look to fly into Naples, not Rome. Unless, of course, the fares are tremendously different.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 02:25 PM

So I hate to be that person but I wouldn’t go to a place without a decent hospital at least nearby. A friends niece, while baby mooning in Maui, went into premature labor and ended up in Hawaii for 2 months on bed rest in an Honolulu hospital. Hey Santa Barbara has some amalfi coast like attributes!

Last edited by macdogmom; Mar 20th, 2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 05:16 PM

May is like next month? You'd be booking the dregs of what little is left. Doesn't matter which country you pick.

Even before Covid your choices would have been limited. These days it seems the whole world is traveling at once.

Start of May you've got one long weekend in both countries. June 2nd you've got a long weekend in Italy.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 05:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Traveler_Nick make an important point. It is very late to be planning this sort of trip - especially with the possible overlap with the holiday weekends. Unless you have a mountain of miles/points, airfares will likely be really high. We've had several threads recently that ended up with he OP needing to make significant alterations simply because they couldn't find accommodations when/where they wanted. So maybe start looking at fights and what might or might not be available in either place.

But honestly, not sure where you live in California -- but I'd seriously look at Hawaii or Tahoe or Santa Barbara, or San Diego, or my personal favorite - the Monterey Peninsula. Beaches, the Aquarium, Point Lobos, good food - and close to home.

Oops -- almost lost this post because my kitten decided to walk across my keyboard 🐱
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Oops -- almost lost this post because my kitten decided to walk across my keyboard 🐱
Um, now I have lots of questions about this kitten, but do not want hijack OPs thread.

OP, are you absolutely dead set on Europe? You mentioned Hawaii. If you're considering tropical and beach, there are other places in the South Pacific (not Hawaii) that are affordable from CA. Cook Islands for instance - May is great time to travel there. Very, very low key without the crowds or resorts that Hawaii and Mexico get and very affordable. Hawaiian Airlines flies direct, too. Lots of activities for your family. Just something to consider if Italy or Spain do not work out.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 10:09 PM

I have to agree with a couple of comments...being 5-1/2 months pregnant plus having it a 4-year-old, I would look for something a lot closer to home. Surely California has lots of great places to visit! You'll have plenty of time to go to Europe later on.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 07:23 AM

If you are basically wanting a relaxing beach or resort vacation, why go to the expense and stress of traveling with a four year old to Europe? You are not going to be doing much sight seeing, being pregnant and with a little person. Advice to not be far from a good hospital is wise.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd choose Italy, the family is important in both country and small children are especially important, but even more so in Italy.

BTW both Spain and Italy have some excellent hospitals.

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 21st, 2024 at 09:23 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary, political comment
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 03:28 AM

Still, I agree that you should put off traveling this far for later. Take a vacation somewhere closer and explore Europe later. Good luck.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I'd choose Italy, the family is important in both country and small children are especially important, but even more so in Italy.

BTW both Spain and Italy have some excellent hospitals.
Of course they have good hospitals, but I would sure hate to end up in one, pregnant with a 4-year-old along and thousands of miles from my doctor.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Took ur advice and decided to go to hawaii instead Europe will have to wait, unfortunately

Last edited by divyadharshini4546; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:27 AM

Wise decision. Have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 01:40 PM

Have a great trip!