In search of inspiration?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past weekend The Guardian published four articles about France, its varied landscape, its food, places to stay and to visit, and the 150th anniversary of Impressionism.

I don't know about you but I don't spend enough time in France.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...el-discoveries

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...laces-to-visit

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...impressionists

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...ssionism-monet

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
That's all well and good, but there are lots of people who visit France without being interested in art or museums. Luckily, there are plenty of sites for people seeking sporting adventure, unusual sights, breathtaking landscapes or just extraordinary gardens. We can't really do their research ahead of time, nor should we.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:16 PM

Did you look at the articles kerouac? Plenty of art and museum free suggestions in those articles. yes some art and museums but not much.

I rarely bother with museums or art galleries or cities in France, or anywhere else for that matter. I get bored by them. My next trip may involve a single museum if I can work it into the planning, if not then I shall just enjoy the countryside.

I enjoyed reading the articles over the weekend. Some are very "Guardian" though - over two hundred euro a night for an eco cabin in a tree with no electricity and a composting toilet for instance. I looked, thought about adding it to my trip, saw the price and changed my mind.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:49 PM

The first two articles provide an idiosyncratic list of fascinating snapshots of life in France. There are wonders all around. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 02:40 PM

Thank you! It was inspirational! Beautiful photography and great suggestions, more to add to the endless list.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 06:46 PM

Coq, the very top photo in that first Guardian article features the *miraboule 'La Tour Rose'. Just above the historical-style wooden door shown, is the second-level rental apartment that we used there in Old Lyon.
If memory serves, I posted a couple shots of it (daytime-nocturnal) there by the actual tower, in your covid-era Photos of France thread.
*Miraboules are open-air traboules.

I am done. the inspiration
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 07:13 PM

I am with you Coquelicot. We do not need any help with inspiration, but I did read the articles. We, too, are not big gallery or museum visitors, but do love the countryside and small towns and villages.
When we will make another trip, though, is still on the drawing board. I am just enjoying reading reports from other people and, yes, they do inspire us. At the moment we are working our way through photos from previous trips. We are in 2014 now and about to head into the Dordogne.
Happy travels.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 11:08 PM

Thanks Coquelicot. France is a beautiful country and have loved every trip there. My plan is to pour myself a glass of Prosecco ( or two) and read these articles.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 11:53 PM

Sadly I’ve poured the Prosecco and the links won’t open for me 🤣
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Zebec, I thought that staircase looked familiar.

Rhon, you have to go back at least one more time so we can coordinate our visits and meet at last.

Cheska, sorry the links won't work, but at least you can drown your sorrows. I hope a smarter Fodorite than me will come along with a solution for you. (My husband says try a different browser.)
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 08:29 PM

Coq, thank you for the inspiration, Planning a trip now and it is sooooo difficult NOT to go France!
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 10:47 AM

Irice, I checked as you asked me. Yes, there are swingers clubs in both of those villages. But the local Carrefour has recently closed, so no idea about that other stuff.
I am done. the (sound of slap)
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 06:33 AM

Hahahaha!