Chicago- what a town!

Search

Chicago- what a town!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2024, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago- what a town!

As my Chicago trip winds up, I feel the need to share some of my experience in the so-called Windy City.
Late April/early May, the weather for the most part has been almost perfect. Not too hot and not too cold.
Chicago reminds me of NY in a lot of ways. It usually gets compared to Canadian city Toronto but having lived there, I would place Chicago a definite notch or three above Toronto.
The lakefront in Chicago seems to be one long park and walking and bike paths seem to go on forever.
Chicago is a city of very tall and historic buildings. The El trains add a lot of character to the city and the river snaking around downtown does the same.

Downtown park land.

Nighttime river activity.

Old Apr 30th, 2024, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Park fountain downtown.

Buddy Guy’s Legends bar.
Old May 1st, 2024, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Modern scraper of the sky

Lakeshore looking north, north of Oak beach.
Old May 1st, 2024, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Yep, one of North Americas great cities - without a doubt. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back, in fact I already know what to explore next time. Am I talking to myself? Thanks for listening.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 06:39 PM

Thanks for your trip report, Cubanwaters!

I’ve been to both Toronto and Chicago numerous times and had great trips to both. Personally, I’d have trouble picking which to visit if all else were equal (I’ve been to Toronto more but that’s mostly since Montreal where I live is closer). I really enjoyed biking on the waterfront in Chicago, the views of gorgeous Lake Michigan and skyline from the Willis (Sears) Tower as well as the stellar Art Institute and terrific architecture seen from Chicago River boat tours but I do like the Islands in Toronto, the streetcars and some of the neighbourhoods of T.O. such as the Beaches and Little Portugal are quite charming!

Glad you got a chance to experience Chicago and hope you get to return one day!

Daniel
Old May 4th, 2024, 06:18 AM

Yes, the US has some great cities: Chicago, NYC, New Orleans, San Francisco, Boston and Washington, DC. Then there are the second tier cities which are worth checking out: Philadephia, St. Louis, Kansas City, Charleston, SC, et al. I still want to check out the latter.
Old May 4th, 2024, 02:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And thanks to Daniel Burnham for his plan for the lakefront, protecting it from development.
Old May 5th, 2024, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
And thanks to Daniel Burnham for his plan for the lakefront, protecting it from development.
The lakefront of Chicago is like one long park almost. You can walk/bike for miles. Chicago did not disappoint. Rough in parts but loads of great to go along with it. I now personally rank it as my #2 in the U.S, and above any Canadian city.

…..the windy city baby ….
Old May 5th, 2024, 12:11 PM

We were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Chicago and your post reminded me of the fun we had there. We have barely scratched the surface of all there is to do there and hope to return someday. I'm glad you had a great time - thanks for posting!
Old May 8th, 2024, 07:30 AM

I love this excitement. I love Chicago and have visited at Christmas time for the last few years. Make your next visit in the winter. It can get really cold but somehow it does not matter. I love visiting Millennial Park to see the Christmas tree and watch the skaters, looking at all the Christmas windows at Macy's on State Street, the zoo lights at the Lincoln Park Zoo. So much to see and do, just dress warm.
Old May 8th, 2024, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

No thanks lady. I am from Montreal and do not need any more winter. I escape to the south in winter. I refuse to holiday anywhere I can not bike around. My late April - early May Chicago trip worked out well for weather. None too hot and None too cold.

Old May 10th, 2024, 07:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved living in the center of the city, miss it!
Old May 11th, 2024, 03:05 PM

So glad you enjoyed my home town! We have a condo there, so we enjoy returning a lot!

I think Chicago is very underrated, we call it New York lite, not as big and as much to do. But it is friendly, and manageable, with great theater, food, shopping, museums, the Art Institute and outdoor activities.

The beautiful lakefront is a rarity, 26 miles of parks, bike and jogging paths, and beaches, all accessible to everyone. The zoo is free, and so is the Conservatory. Public transportation makes getting around easy and sometimes, we have great sports teams!