Search

Food tour / one-day excursions in London

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2024, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food tour / one-day excursions in London

Good evening,

We'll be in London in July, and meeting up with family on a Sunday (parents + 3 adult 20-something children.) We've been to the more traditional tourist sites during a past trip and we were thinking a food tour might be fun. Looking for recommendations, or even other suggestions for one-day tours or excursions.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't even think of a Sunday food tour. Must it be on Sunday -- visiting Borough Market, either independently or with a tour, would be great but it is closed on Sundays. London Walks does pub crawls but not on Sundays.

By 'one-day tours or excursions' do you mean out-of-town group tours? If so those will be really expensive.

How about going to Greenwich by boat, explore for a few hours and then DLR or boat back?

Or take the train to Oxford and take one of the free walking tours with 'Footprints' or free or private walking tours with 'Oxford University Walking Tours', then explore more of the city on your own.
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:28 AM

I loved the East London Food Tour with Alternative London.
https://alternativeldn.co.uk/east-london-food-tour/

They don’t seem to be running a public one, but with five people maybe you can book a private tour.

Experience Local tours does pub tours and also music tours on Sundays.

https://www.experiencelocal.tours/about

The Royal Pub tour was great.. best pub tour I’ve been on. I’ll do the Soho one in July!
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:40 AM

I am not the original OP, but I will be in London on my own. Thanks Railtogrl for posting the above links. the pub tour looks great. Is it ok if you are on your own????
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by millie2112
I am not the original OP, but I will be in London on my own. Thanks Railtogrl for posting the above links. the pub tour looks great. Is it ok if you are on your own????
millie2112 yes!!! One of the nice things about the Royal Pub tour was the guide (Tom) had everyone introduce themselves and say where they were from. This helped to break the ice - our group was really fun. Tom was also a really great guide who talked to everyone and made sure everyone felt comfortable, I have taken other tours (including London Walks) where the guide was more interested in getting himself a beer and checking his messages than actually interacting with the group. I had a London Walks tour in December where the guide took off ahead and basically left the group to run after him - we all stopped and looked at each other when he went around a corner and then he came back in a panic when he didn't see us. It was a bad tour - he didn't even wait around for tips at the end, he just took off. But that is really getting off topic
Old May 6th, 2024, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Yes, our only day together is on a Sunday. I'll look into Greenwich!
Old May 6th, 2024, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rialtogrl! Really appreciate the links and recommendations. We are looking for something like this! They all seem great - the Royal Pub tour seems especially fun!
Old May 6th, 2024, 10:58 AM

I've done Eating Europe before, but not in London. Not sure if they have a Sunday schedule but worth a look: https://www.eatingeurope.com/
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by RosebudAlley
Thanks rialtogrl! Really appreciate the links and recommendations. We are looking for something like this! They all seem great - the Royal Pub tour seems especially fun!
it was!
Old May 7th, 2024, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
London Walks will put together a private walk for you. I did their Street Art guided walk on Sunday, partly around Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane. You could do walk then food?